Professor of European University at St. Petersburg.
Ivan Kurilla’s primary field of interest is the history of US – Russian relations. Besides, he has organized workshops, published articles and edited volumes on the theme of the use of history, historical memory and historical politics in Russia and on the Post-Soviet space. Kurilla has also published articles on the relations between the State and Society in contemporary Russia.
The most recent books by Ivan Kurilla are:
• Zaklyatye druzia: Istoriya mneniy, fantazii, kontaktov, vzaimo(ne)ponimania Rossii i SShA [Frenemies: History of opinions, phantasies, contacts, mutual (mis)understanding of Russia and the USA] (NLO, 2018).
• Istoriya, ili Proshloe v nastoyashchem [History, or the Past in Present] (EUPress, 2017) and
• an edited volume with Victoria Zhuraleva: Russian/Soviet Studies in the United States, Amerikanistika in Russia: Mutual Representations in Academic Projects (Lexington books, 2016)
Other monographs include:
• Zaokeanskie partnery: Amerika i Rossiya v 1830-1850-e gody [Partners across the Ocean: The United States and Russia, 1830s–1850s] (Volgograd UP, 2005)
• «Voiti v krug velikikh derzhav...»: Daniel Webster i vneshnyaya politika SShA v seredine 19-go veka [«Enter the Circle» of Great Powers: Daniel Webster and Foreign Policy of the USA in the Middle of the 19th Century] (Volgograd UP, 1997);
• Co-author and editor of Rossiya v 2000-e: Stereoskopicheskii vzglyad [Russia in the 2000s: Stereoscopic View]: (co-edited with Henry Hale, Moscow: Planeta, 2011).
Editor of many collections including the annual collection of articles in American Studies Americana (Vols.10 - 15, 2009-2017),
• Kto boitsya uchebnika istorii? [Who is afraid of a History Textbook?] (2013), Pamyat i Pamyatniki [Memory and Memorials] (2012)
• Rossiya i SShA na stranicah uchebnikov: opyt vzaimnyh reprezentacii [Russia and the United States: Mutual Representations in Textbooks] (ed. with Victoria Zhuravleva) (2009)
• Istoriya kraya kak pole konstruirovaniya regionalnoy identichnosti [Local History as a Tool of Constructing Regional Identity] (2008)
Kurilla’s articles were published in the leading Russian historical journals, as well as in Journal of American History, Demokratizatsiya, Journal of Cold War Studies, Problems of Post-Communism, Nationalities Papers. In 2010 he translated into Russian a classic monograph by Perry Anderson Lineages of the Absolutist State.
Member of editorial board of Amerikanskii ezhegodnik (American Yearbook). (Moscow, Russian Academy of Sciences) and Journal of Russian-American Studies (Kansas University) Member of the council of the Russian Society for the US History Studies. Member of the council of the Free Historical Society.
Ivan Kurilla is also frequently quoted by Russian, American and international media on the problems of Russian-American relations. In 2017-2018 he published two op-ed articles in The Washington Post and was numerous times quoted by The New York Times.