- Academic biography
Anton Barchuk is JSC Polymetal Associate Professor of Epidemiology, head of the Institute for Interdisciplinary Health Research (I2HR) and the epidemiology group at the European University at Saint-Petersburg, Russia, an Associate Professor at the NN Petrov National Cancer Center in Saint-Petersburg, Russia, and a researcher at the Faculty of Social Sciences/Health Sciences of the Tampere University, Finland. He is also holding the position of the scientific director of the Association of Oncologists of the North-West of Russia.
After graduating from Saint-Petersburg Pavlov Medical University in 2005, Dr. Barchuk started his career in NN Petrov Research Institute of Oncology, where he completed his training in thoracic oncology and defended his Ph.D. thesis in oncology. His primary interests were the early detection of bronchial lesions with fluorescent bronchoscopy and automated cytometry. He continued his work as an oncologist and researcher in Saint-Petersburg.
In 2015, he started additional education in epidemiology after being accepted to International Postgraduate Programme in Epidemiology (IPPE) of the University of Tampere, Finland, where later he got a Ph.D. researcher position. Now, Dr. Barchuk is working on the evaluation of cancer burden, cancer registration, and cancer screening and control activities in Russia.
Dr. Barchuk initiated and participated as an editor in the Russian translation of ICD-O-3, published in 2017, to implement high-quality cancer registration in Russia. He was among the White Night Petersburg Oncology Forum initiators in 2015, which grew to more than 3500 participants in 2017. Pilots of population-based breast, cervical and colorectal screening programs in the North-West of Russia were rolling-out in 2020 under his supervision.
His latest project was related to the seroepidemiological assessment of SARS‑CoV‑2 spread in Saint-Petersburg, Russia. The population-based study has been started in May 2020 and continued through the course of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 2021 Stomach Cancer Incidence and Mortality Trends among Circumpolar Nations. Simkin J, Nash SH, Barchuk A, O'Brien DK, Erickson AC, Hanley B, Hannah H, Corriveau A, Larsen IK, Skovlund CW, Larønningen S. Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention Biomarkers. 2021 Jan
- 2021 Comparison of breast cancer and cervical cancer stage distributions in ten newly independent states of the former Soviet Union: a population-based study. Ryzhov A, Corbex M, Piñeros M, Barchuk A, Andreasyan D, Djanklich S, Ghervas V, Gretsova O, Kaidarova D, Kazanjan K, Mardanli F. The Lancet Oncology. 2021 Feb 5
- 2020 A pragmatic approach to tackle the rising burden of breast cancer through prevention & early detection in countries' in transition'. Basu, P., Zhang, L., Hariprasad, R., Carvalho, A., Barchuk, A. Indian Journal of Medical Research, 2020, 152(4), p. 343–355
- 2019 Breast and cervical cancer incidence and mortality trends in Russia 1980-2013 Barchuk A, Bespalov A, Huhtala H, Chimed T, Laricheva I, Belyaev A, Freddie Bray, Anttila A, Auvinen A. Cancer Epidemiol. 2018 Aug;55:73-80. doi: 10.1016/j.canep.2018.05.008
- 2019 Productivity losses associated with premature mortality due to cancer in Russia: A population-wide study covering 2001–2030. Barchuk A, Bespalov A, Huhtala H, Chimed T, Belyaev A, Moore M, Anttila A, Auvinen A, Pearce A, Soerjomataram I. Scandinavian journal of public health. 2019 Jul;47(5):482-91.
- 2019 Prostate cancer incidence and mortality in the Baltic states, Belarus, the Russian Federation and Ukraine. Patasius, A., Innos, K., Barchuk, A., Ryzhov, A., Leja, M., Misins, J., Yaumenenka, A. and Smailyte, G., 2019. BMJ Open, 9(10), p.e031856.
- 2019 Online breath analysis using metal oxide semiconductor sensors (electronic nose) for diagnosis of lung cancer. Kononov, A., Korotetsky, B., Jahatspanian, I., Gubal, A., Vasiliev, A., Arsenjev, A., Nefedov, A., Barchuk, A., Gorbunov, I., Kozyrev, K. and Rassadina, A., 2019. Journal of breath research, 14(1), p.016004.
- 2018 Профилактика вирус-ассоциированных опухолей. Барчук А.А. Практическая онкология. 2018. Т. 19. № 4. С. 323-333.
- 2018 Productivity losses due to premature mortality from cancer in Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa (BRICS): A population-based comparison. Pearce A, Sharp L, Hanly P, Barchuk A, Bray F, de Camargo Cancela M, Gupta P, Meheus F, Qiao YL, Sitas F, Wang SM, Soerjomataram I. Cancer Epidemiol. 2018 Apr; 53:27-34. doi: 10.1016/j.canep.2017.12.013.
- 2018 Analysis of exhaled air for early-stage diagnosis of lung cancer: opportunities and challenges. Ganeev, A.A., Gubal, A.R., Lukyanov, G.N., Arseniev, A.I., Barchuk, A.A., Jahatspanian, I.E., Gorbunov, I.S., Rassadina, A.A., Nemets, V.M., Nefedov, A.O. and Korotetsky, B.A., 2018. Russian Chemical Reviews, 87(9), p.904.
- 2018 Alternative Ways to Study Global Variation in Cancer-Related Research Activity. Barchuk A, Gushchin V. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018 Mar 19. doi: 10.1245/s10434-018-6426-5.
- 2017 Lymphoma and Leukemia Burden in Russia 2014: Comparison with Nordic Countries and Possible Cancer Registration Quality Issues. Shilo, P., Barchuk, A., Zuzgin, I. and Alexeev, S., 2017. Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma and Leukemia, 17, p.S322.
- 2017 MRI Image Processing Based on Fractal Analysis. Marusina MY, Mochalina AP, Frolova EP, Satikov VI, Barchuk AA, Kuznetcov VI, Gaidukov VS, Tarakanov SA. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017 Jan 1;18(1):51-55.
- 2017 NY-ESO-1 antigen expression as a prognostic factor for soft tissue sarcomas. Komarov, Y., Barchuk, A., Semenova, A.I., Semiglazova, T., Imianitov, E., Iyevleva, A., Baldueva, I., Novik, A.V., Nehaeva, T.L., Pipia, N. and Huhtala, H., 2017.
- 2016 Скрининг рака и смертность. Барчук А.А., Беляев А.М., Филочкина А.В., Арсеньев А.И., Аувинен А., Практическая онкология. 2016. Т. 17. № 4. С. 228-246. https://practical-oncology.ru/articles/23.pdf
- 2016 Evaluation of machine learning algorithm utilization for lung cancer classification based on gene expression levels. Podolsky M.D., Gusarova N.F., Gaidukov V.S., Tarakanov S.A., Barchuk A.A., Kuznetcov V.I. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention: APJCP. 2016. Т. 17. № 2. С. 835-838.
- 2009 Скрининг рака лёгкого. Барчук А.А., Арсеньев А.И., Левченко Е.В. Вопросы онкологии. 2009. Т. 55. № 1. С. 7-14.
Head of Institute for Interdisciplinary Health Research