The University of Pennsylvania (UPenn or Penn), in collaboration with the European University at St. Petersburg (EUSP), offers a two-year dual degree program "Russia and Eurasia in the Global World" in Russian and East European Studies. The program is aimed at Americans, Russians, and international students who have acquired the B.A. or equivalent in any discipline of the humanities or social sciences.
Why Choose This Program
The program is distinct from most comparable M.A. programs in the US or in Russia.
- Rather than create a silo of faculty and students with Russia interests, yet with poorly articulated disciplinary focus at the level of curriculum, our program arches across both UPenn and EUSP, integrating students and faculty with the many departmental communities of these two institutions.
- Rather than educate students in Russian and East European Studies knowledge without disciplinary specialization, our program will combine area studies with focused work in specific disciplines (anthropology, art history, demography, film studies, history, international business studies, Jewish studies, literary and cultural history, medieval studies, political science, sociology, etc.).
- Rather than sequestering students in one institution for a year or two, our program is fully international and will insert students into leading academic networks in both Russia and the USA.
Graduates of the program will be well prepared to pursue either further study at the Ph.D. level or to go on to careers in government service, think tanks, and business in the United States, Russia, their home countries, or internationally.
The position of UPenn between Washington, D.C. and New York and EUSP's situation in St. Petersburg, as well as the significant networks and contacts of the faculty of both institutions, provide opportunities for placement.
Steps to apply
1. Complete the EUSP Application Form
2. Complete the UPenn Application Form
Application deadline: March 22, 2021
3. Attend an online interview (April 1-5, 2021)
4. Wait to receive an admission decision (April 9, 2021)
Please visit the Program webpage to learn more about the Calendar, Application Requirements, Tuition Fees, and Scholarships.