Degree: MA in International Relations
Duration: 1 year
Workload: 60 credits
Next start: September 2022
Application deadline: April 30, 2022
One-year intensive IMARES Master’s degree program focus on Russia and the post-Soviet area. This comprehensive program allows you to study Russia and the whole Eurasian area in all aspects from A to Я. You will examine the past and analyze the most up-to-date events unfolding in the region, learn Russian, and experience life in Russia. Together with other international students you will study and discuss a variety of topics, including foreign policy and security issues in Russia and neighboring countries, history and current events, changing society and reforms, and, of course, Russian culture and arts.
This is the only program in Russia that gives you the opportunity to
- get an MA in Russian and Eurasian Studies in 1 year;
- select the courses by the leading Russian and international professors and experts in the field;
- design your own individual program from the broad course catalog;
- study in the English language;
- learn and improve your Russian;
- enjoy the life in St. Petersburg - the old imperial capital of Russia;
- get an excellent foundation for your career in public service, academia and business.
IMARES program has empowered our alumni to make a career in
- educational institutions in North America, Europe, and Russia;
- research and administrative duties at Thomson Reuters, Elsevier, Smithsonian Institution, libraries and museums, editorial boards of academic journals and publishers;
- journalism at The New York Times, The Moscow Times, etc;
- private and state companies such as IBM, Bank of America, and Boeing;
- government bodies (e.g. foreign embassies, NASA), national or regional councils and parliaments;
- international organizations such as the International Criminal Court, The World Bank, European Commission.
For centuries Russia (or Russian Empire, the Soviet Union, the New Russia) continues to be one of the European edges - often challenging, sometimes scaring, usually encouraging, and always fascinating with its political and artistic experiments, its beauty, and its deep and enigmatic soul.
BA degree. No prior knowledge of Russian is needed.
In terms of backgrounds and prior experience, IMARES students are often as diverse as the topics they study at the EUSP. Whether you are a historian, political scientist, sociologist, journalist, or language specialist, studying at EUSP will give you the opportunity to broaden your horizons and gain new perspectives in a career.
You may start IMARES twice a year. The fall semester starts at the beginning of September. The spring semester starts at the beginning of March. You may choose whichever start date best suits your needs.
Admissions continue on a rolling basis. Please send the completed application form no later than
November 30, 2021, for enrollment in Spring Semester 2022
April 30, 2022, for enrollment in Fall Semester 2022
In case you miss the deadline, please write to us to discuss the possibility of a late application.
There are 3 easy steps to apply for the IMARES program at EUSP:
1. Complete the Application form
2. Send us all the required documents
3. Receive your Letter of acceptance or notification of rejection
1. Scanned copy of your Passport. Your international passport validity period must be at least 6 months following the date you are planning to leave Russia on completing the program (e.g. if you intend to stay in Russia until June 30, 2023, your passport expiry date shouldn't be earlier than December 30, 2023)
2. Scanned copy of your Bachelor's degree diploma (or documentation that proves you will receive your diploma this year)
3. Scanned copy of your Academic Transcript
4. Your Statement of Purpose (about 500 words, including a statement of goals, research interests, and experiences, including the subject of your bachelor thesis)
5. Two letters of recommendation from academics who are closely acquainted with your academic work. The letters must be e-mailed directly from your referees to email@example.com
6. Your Curriculum Vitae
Ask Alumni about IMARES
Need more firsthand information about studying at EUSP? Please feel free to ask our wonderful alumni – they would be happy to share their experience with you and we would make sure that you feel comfortable and correspond privately.
"The EUSP paved the way for my career path in Eurasian politics and energy while providing exposure to the exciting eccentricities of expat life in Russia. Feel free to ask me about what it's like to be a EUSP student or what the program can do for your career."
Rebeka Foley (IMARES, Class 2016)